If you’ve holiday’d in Greece and not eaten souvlaki (unless you’re vegetarian) then you have seriously missed out. But all’s not lost, here’s a super easy recipe to make this at home.
Souvlaki is a Greek staple and can be made from any meat. Essentially its marinated meat, skewered and BBQ’d.
I made our souvlaki with chicken. As I’d not cooked this before for the family, I opted for the safe route and saved some of the un-marinated meat. I predicted correctly, with one of my children loving it and the other one opting for the plain chicken.
I only marinated the meat for about 30 mins but next time I will marinate the meat overnight to enhance the flavour more.
The cooked meat was delicious and as it was cooked on the BBQ is was moist and tender. I served this with salad and BBQ roasted potatoes of the rest of the family.
Next time I cook this I will serve it with warmed pitta bread and tzatziki.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3 cloves garlic
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Finely chop the garlic and add to a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, oregano and olive oil to the garlic and mix.
- Chop the chicken breasts into 2-3cm chunks.
- Add the chicken to the marinade mix and gently mix.
- Cover the bowl in clingfilm and place in the fridge.
- Marinate the meat for at least 30 mins but the longer the better to enhance the flavour.
- When ready to start cooking, skewer the meat onto BBQ skewers.
- Cook on the BBQ.