Don’t you just love it when you discover a new recipe that is soooo easy to make, tastes great and yep, is pretty good for you too? Here’s my latest find ….
I recently discovered a superfood salad made with red cabbage, figs and a few other tasty things. I loved the mix of the sweet and savoury flavours in the salad. I searched online for such a recipe to no avail. But, I did find this recipe for feta, dates and red cabbage (over at https://smittenkitchen.com) so thought I’d give it a whirl. Boy, this salad did not disappoint. So this is my new salad of the moment.
- 1 x 0.45-0.55kg red cabbage
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- 50g pitted dates, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tsps sesame seeds
- 120g feta cheese
- Slice the red cabbage as finely as you can. I remove the white core of the cabbage.
- Place in a large salad bowl.
- In a separate dish, combine the olive oil, lime juice and salt and pepper. Mix.
- Pour over the red cabbage and mix with your hands to make sure that all of the cabbage is coated.
- I then left the salad for around 6 hours so fully marinate the red cabbage. If you prefer more crunchy cabbage then I suggest that you do not leave it as long.
- When you are almost ready to serve the salad, toast the sesame seeds. You can dry fry these for approx. 2 mins in a small pan. Keep a really close eye on the sesame seeds to make sure that you do not burn them. Stir them regularly in the pan and as soon as they start to turn slightly brown remove from the heat.
- Toss half of the chopped dates along with half of the feta cheese (crumb the feta cheese into the salad).
- Sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds on the top of the salad.
- Add the remaining dates and crumb the rest of the feta cheese on the top of the salad.
- The salad is now ready to serve.
If the salad does not all get eaten then it will certainly keep until the next day in the fridge and possibly a few days after that. It makes quite a big salad so would easily serve 4-6 as a side salad at a BBQ.
This salad went down a treat. I hope that you like it too.
One thought on “The so EASY … feta, date and red cabbage salad”
Can’t wait to try it out
You can follow our fitness blog for cool content