I’d been wanting to have a go at making falafal for ages but thought it was tricky to make. I came across this recipe and couldn’t believe how simple it is. On top that, it’s virtually fat free and vegan too!
Falafal makes a great snack for keeping in the fridge for a nibble or eating for lunch either with a salad or even on its own.
- 250g frozen peas
- 400g can of chickpeas
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- 6 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- salt & pepper
- Place the frozen peas in a heat-proof bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Leave the peas to stand for a few mins then drain.
- Drain the chick peas and rinse.
- Place the peas, chick peas, harissa paste, half the chopped mint leaves and salt & pepper in a food processor.
- Pulse the mix until everything is combined.
- Place a sheet of baking parchment onto a baking tray or line an oven proof dish.
- Spoon out the mix and loosely mold into balls and place on the baking parchment. You should be able to get between 15-18 falafal balls depending on size.
- Place in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 190c/gas mark 5.
- Spray the falafal balls lightly with Frylight.
- Bake in the oven for 15 mins until crisp.