Want a quick and easy way to add super healthy ingredients to your diet? Get soup-making now with this winning winter warmer!
If you’ve made soup you’ll know how easy it is to make right – yet for some reason I never seem to make it as often as I should. This recipe is my go-to soup recipe as it’s always a winner in our family, particularly with my daughter. Oh and did I mention it’s fat-free and vegan (if you use vegan stock) too?
- 2 medium-sized onion, peeled and roughly chopped.
- 3 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped.
- 300g parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped.
- 1-2 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- Olive oil or Fry Light
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbps turmeric
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli seed
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Salt & pepper
- Using a large saucepan with a lid, add a little oil or Fry Light and fry the onion and the garlic until soft.
- Add the cumin, turmeric and dried chilli seeds and mix. Fry for a minute.
- Add the potatoes and parsnips and then add the vegetable stock.
- Leave to cook for about an hour.
- Allow to cool a little, then using a hand-held blender, blend the soup.
- Season to taste.
You might choose to add a little low fat creme fraiche if you would prefer a slightly creamer soup however I find that adding the potatoes makes the soup creamy enough.
You can make so many variations of soup which is perfect when you’re wondering what to do with those left over veg at the bottom of the fridge. Don’t you just hate food waste?
Soups are a great way to hide some super healthy ingredients to your diet to get the family to eat things they’d maybe not normally want to try.
In this soup I’ve added turmeric. Did you know that many studies have shown that turmeric has major benefits for your body and brain due to containing curcumin which is a strong antioxidant with anti-inflammatory effects. It has been used in India for thousands of years as a medicinal herb.
What’s your favourite soup and what extra healthy ingredients do you slip into your soups?